05 October 2010

October 5th (because I can't think of a title)



So judging from some of last weeks comments and emails I guess we're all a little ADD when it comes to our quilting....but I think this weekend I really took it to a new level. For me anyway. I was zipping along making good progress on my Dream On top, cutting and sewing up a storm, when suddenly some of the fabrics I was cutting reminded me of some yarn I have. I don't actually knit or crochet...but that doesn't keep me from having a nice little drawer of hooks and needles and a bit of yarn. You never know when the bug will hit, right? And that's exactly what happened. I spent Sunday morning relearning to cast on and then the rest of the day and into evening trying to get just one %&^$ decent row. (I learn to knit about once every 3 years or so-- just long enough to get oh say 5 rows done and then I put it away and promptly forget how.) I finally just decided to quit ripping out and just knit a nice big square to practice. You should see all the holes in this thing. Today when I finally got back to my quilting my poor fingers were so sore and bruised it hurt to pin my corners on.But I persevered and here's what I have so far. I can't decide whether to make it bigger or just stop where I am. Maybe I'll go knit while I think about it....

21 comments:

Sherri said...

Love this dream on quilt...and the post title...I might have to use that idea someday!

Karen said...

I find it interesting that you have yarn & all the knitting needles. I used to knit and crochet afghans like crazy before I got into quilting.
All those little white containers with your quilt parts in it are a good idea. I end up with little piles here and there. It would be easy to pick up things and to not get parts mixed.

CJ said...

Is this going to be a pattern or a tutorial??? I love how each white diamond is framed in a solid. LOVE this quilt!

Colleen said...

Love the quilt! Really pretty :o) The knitting story is funny... I taught myself to knit in 3rd grade and did it avidly for about 10 years, and I still know how, but never pick any needles up now.

Jandi said...

I love it! I admire the fact that you can knit at all. I always manage to get one or two rows on and then the whole thing is too tight to take off. I obviously have tension issues.

Wonky Girl said...

Cannot comment on the yarn except the colors are pretty. (Not a knitter). But the quilt top is real pretty. You are one organized gal, I should take that lesson from you!

Kathie said...

very very very pretty quilt
I would love to see you make it large enough to put on your bed, it will be a beautiful quilt for spring and summer, just so airy !
knitting ah yes I pull it out to keep my hands busy sometimes but take a long time to finish a scarf!!!
maybe one a winter! I would rather quilt
Kathie

Kate said...

Love it!

Thimbleanna said...

Love that quilt -- it's so pretty and colorful. Hang in there with the knitting -- pretty soon you won't even notice sore fingers!

Quilter Kathy said...

I love all those wonderful photographs! Such cute little white baskets full of fabric treats! And a fabulous quilt!

Candace said...

You sound like me with your knitting. I can't get rid of my knitting and crochet, because every year I like to start something, lol. Last year I even finished a crocheted dishcloth. Love the quilt, I vote for a bit bigger.

Kris said...

Oh Tammy, I am cracking up here! You are so like me! However, I, like you, after ripping and tearing out the knitting, I am finding such comfort in knitting dishcloths!!! I have rediscovered crochet and am loving the yarn, and having some handwork to do that is portable. I have an easy peasy pattern for dishcloths that I posted a few posts back. You will LOVE the thick knited dishcloths if you make some. Try that orange Sugar N Cream cotton I saw in your stash!!!
Hugs

Louise said...

What pretty colors in that little top you are piecing. Looks like you will have lots of room to show off your quilting.

Stina said...

Absolutely wonderful..:o))) Love the dream on fabrocs!!

deb said...

You are a scream...but I can relate, I got so hooked on making scarfs a couple years its all I did for like 3 weeks, I must have made 20 scarfs....its very addictive...but I havent touched it since!!!!

deb said...

OH by the way...I forgot to say...LOVE the quilt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ginger Patches said...

Just checking to make sure my comment verification is off :)

Carol said...

OMG Tammy I'm flipping over your quilt! It is sooooooooo perfect for the Dream On fabric...I LOVE it! Your little white baskets are wonderful...great way to keep organized!

Mama Spark said...

I love this quilt! I just picked up some Dream On. Glad to get my hands on it before it is all gone. It's so different!

Trisha said...

Fantastic quilt! I love what you have done with this gorgeous line of fabric.

I am a knitter and I can't go a day without knitting so I would say stick with the knitting until it feels more comfortable. Maybe that will help you enjoy it more, because it is SO enjoyable. :)

Vickie E said...

lovely quilt!