At the end of the year I like to take time to look back at things I've accomplished. Doing this also entails taking note of what I've failed to accomplish. One thing that jumped out at me this year was my puny list of books read. Seriously sad little list. I'm afraid to even guess...but if I had to guess? I'd say 10....10???!!! See? I told you it was sad :( I used to have end of year lists like this:This was before the quilting bug bit me... I think my list of quilt tops finished will be more satisfying. But that's another post. In my attempt to regain some balance in my life I have been scouring all the wonderful book blogs out there for challenges that will help me achieve some of my reading goals for 2009. The first one I'm joining is the TBR challenge. Here are the rules
* the challenge is to read 12 TBR books in 12 months -- you can read those all in one month if you want, or one a month, or however you wanna do it.
* you need to have a list posted somewhere for others to see (even if it's in a comment here)
* you CANNOT change your list after January 1st, 2009!!!
* you can create an Alternates list of MAXIMUM 12 books, if you want, in order to have options to choose from (you can read these in place of books on your original list).
* audiobooks and e-books ARE allowed
* re-reads are NOT allowed, as they aren't TRUE "TBRs"
* you CAN overlap with other challenges
* OPTIONAL: you can join the Yahoo! Group created for participants of the TBR Challenge, if you want to have a place to keep your list, or just to share with others about how you're doing! :)
Here is my list:
1. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
2. The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
3. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
4. Blindness by Jose Saramago
5. A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
6. The Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeannette Walls
7. Exile by Denise Mina
8 The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
9. Such a Pretty Fat by Jen Lancaster
10. Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates
11. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
12. A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
1. Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
2. Resolution by Denise Mina
3. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
4. The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien
5. We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families: Stories from
Rwanda by Philip Gourevitch
6. The Life of Pi by Yann Martel
7. The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent
8. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
9. Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson
10. The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry
11. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See
12. The Red Tent by Anita Diamant
If anyone wants to join me click the title of the post. I think today (Jan. 1) is the deadline to get your list posted.